What is the Wellness Shack?
The Wellness Shack, Inc. is a consumer-run, non-profit organization serving as Eau Claire’s Center for Adults in Mental Health Recovery. It is run by the very members who comprise it, offering the chance for recovery, solace, and peace of mind by supporting, encouraging, and working with others who share similar conditions. We offer peer support; we are not professional counselors.
Our mission is to help adults, inclusive of all diversities, with mental illness in the Eau Claire area by providing a safe place for them to find peer support, socialization, and recreation. Through community outreach, education, and advocacy, adults living with mental illness will improve understanding of mental health awareness to promote individual recovery.
What is Mental Illness?
Mental illness can affect anyone: a parent, a teacher, a business executive, or you. The disorders of mental illness may include depression, schizophrenia, bi-polar disorders, eating disorders, attention/hyperactivity disorders, and anxiety disorders. Mental disorders are biologically based brain disorders; they are not due to personal weakness or poor up-bringing.
Mental disorders are common in the United States. Roughly 1 in 4 Americans aged 18 and older suffer from a mental illness (26.2%).
What services are available?
- Social interaction - game night, arts and crafts, movie nights, picnics, and holiday get-together's
- Informal support gatherings
- Opportunities for leadership including Board development, Volunteering, Community Outreach, and Fundraising.
- Statewide Events - Empowerment Days and consumer conferences
- Educational Support including Vocation, Advocacy, Recovery, and Life Skills classes
- Self-help resources such as relaxation CDs, books, videos, and web sites relating to mental health
- And most of this is free! Donations are Appreciated.
- Participate in fund raising events
- Share your experiences
- Be a friend and mentor
- Be on the board and help make decisions
- Give back to the community by helping other people with mental illness
- Volunteer at the office
- Help write newsletters
|515 S Barstow St.
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
|Call: 715-855-7705 for more information!|
|Every Wednesday from 4-5pm is our Procovery meeting. And from 3-4pm on Wednesday is Creative Arts. Everyone is welcome!|
|Every Thursday night from 6:30 to 8:00pm there is a general support group that meets. Everyone is welcome to join us!|
|Depression and Anxiety|
|Depression and Aniexty meeting group Mondays from 4-5:30pm.|
|Every third Tuesday of the month is our Board Meeting from 4-6pm.|
|The SMART Recovery Program focuses on four main areas. The first area is enhancing and maintaining motivation to abstain from addictive behavior. The second is learning how to cope with urges and cravings. The third is learning rational ways to manage one’s thoughts, feelings, and behaviors, and the fourth is learning how to balance short-term pleasures and satisfactions in life.|
|This group focuses on what a person with a diagnosis of mental illness can do to take action toward moving forward with one's life. Procovery chanllenges the common misunderstanding that a person must pasively wait for the caregivers to come up with a solution or cure. Topics are examined and discussed for how to incorporate the ideas into one's personal ;loan for recovery.|